Need an idea for a date night inspired meal? – try this easy to make dish!
I got 2 words for you: Bacon. Wrapped. I mean who doesn’t love a meal that includes bacon? This bacon wrapped filet mignon served with a garlic mash and oven roasted asparagus is the perfect meal to complete a romantic evening at home – that and your favorite glass of vino. Recipe down below!
Ingredients: (for 2)
- 3-4 oz filet mignon (2)
- 2 strips of bacon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of favorite steak sauce/marinade
- 1/4 of a medium sized white onion
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 3 large potatoes
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of diced chives
- 2 servings of asparagus
- Salt/seasoned salt
- Black Pepper
- Onion powder
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Cooking Twine or wooden skewer ( to secure bacon around your filet mignon before cooking)
- Cast iron skillet (best pan to make your steak in, but feel free to use a regular frying pan if you don’t have cast iron)
- For our filet mignon, start off with seasoning your filets with salt and pepper.
- Once done, wrap each tightly with a strip of bacon and secure by either wrapping with a section of cooking twine or by sticking a wooden skewer through your filet (shown below)
- After securing the bacon around your filet, on medium-high – heat up 1 tbs of olive oil in your cast-iron skillet. If you own a large cast iron/pan, cook both at the same time (use 2 tbs of olive oil instead of 1 if cooking both), if not, cook one at a time (too much crowding in the pan will not make the filets sear as well) Cook each side to your level of doneness. A good reference to use is this steak cooking chart from Omaha Steaks (shown below).
- While searing your second side, add in your 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter, and your 3 cloves of garlic and and wait for the butter to melt. Once melted scoop the garlic butter mixture on top of steak
- Sear the outside bacon part of your filet slowly rotating and cooking until the complete outside of your bacon wrapped filet is seared. Feel free to keep on basting your filet with the garlic butter as this is occurring. Once finished, remove from pan and allow filets to rest for 5 minutes.
- In the same pan, while still heated add in your onions and mushrooms and sauté.
- After about 3-5 minutes, add in a dash of salt, pepper, 1 tsp of your favorite steak sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar and mix all together and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Once done, remove from pan and set aside.
- For our potatoes, peel and then cut up into medium sized cubes.
- Boil enough water to completely submerge your cubed potatoes, then add in your potatoes and boil for about 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are soft
- Once finished, completely drain out the water
- Add in 1/3 cup of milk, 4 tbs of butter, 1 tsp of minced garlic, 1/2 tsp of diced chives salt, and pepper into your potatoes and mash. (For extra flavor, add in 1/4 cup of sour cream, & 1/4 cup of cream cheese or your favorite shredded cheese)
- For our asparagus, preheat your oven to 400F. Lightly coat with olive oil or melted butter. Then lightly season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
- For about 20-25 minutes or until your asparagus has the texture/doneness as you like. I only like mine lightly roasted so I roast mine for only 15-20 minutes.
- Arrange your dinner items on your plate. I top my bacon wrapped filet mignon with our sautéed onions and mushrooms. Serve up, and you’re ready to start your date night!