Nothing hits the spot better a flavorful meal you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. I’m not going to lie, I use to be one of those people who conflated healthy with boring or flavorless. How mistaken was I?
Salads don’t have to be boring! This Pineapple Habanera Chicken Salad with homemade Pineapple Habanera dressing is a meal bursting with flavor as much as it is bursting with color. It’s an easy meal to make, even more exciting to eat. Recipe down below!
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks (If you like your dressing less pulpy, add 1/4th cup instead)
- 1 Habanera pepper (if you don’t want your dressing spicy, substitute with mini yellow sweet bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp. of lime juice
- 2 tbsp. of vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. of each dry seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Chili Powder, (Optional- 1 tbsp. of sugar)
- 1 serving of Spinach – Arugula Mix (Or just spinach will do)
- 1 Serving of Chicken Breasts
- 12-14 pineapple cubed chunks
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
- Green Onion (as a garnish)
- (optional) crushed red pepper
- Ghee Butter or Cooking Oil
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Cast Iron Grill Pan (a regular frying pan will do if you don’t have one)
- 2 wooden (or metal) skewers to place your pineapple chunks on
- Mason Jar or container to store your dressing in the fridge
- A sauce brush to brush some of your dressing on your chicken and pineapples while cooking (a spoon will work also to do this)
Food Prep Needed:
- Slice and dice your vegetables to the size you like for your salad (wait until the last minute to slice up your avocado for it to be as fresh as possible)
- Place about 6-7 Pineapple chunks on each of your 2 skewers. If using a wooden skewer, feel free to cut off any excess wood from your skewers so that they’re not too long
- For Dressing, take all your ingredients listed above, place in blender or food processor, and blend until completely and evenly mixed
- Once done, remove and place all contents in a jar for storing in the fridge.
- For Salad, take your serving of chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tbsp of your ghee butter or cooking oil in your cast iron grill pan or frying pan. Then, heat up your cast iron grill pan on medium high
- Once heated, place your chicken and pineapple skewers in the pan and sear for about 1-2 minutes
- Flip your chicken and pineapples and sear the other side for about 1-2 minutes. While the other side is searing, brush some of your dressing you made and brush on top of your chicken and pineapples, then cover and cook. (for your pineapples, make sure you sear all 4 sides of the chunks on your skewers)
- After the other side is done searing for 1-2 minutes, flip again and brush the other side, then cover and cook. Flip one more time to sear the side you just brushed for about another 30, then remove from pan, let rest for 2 minutes, then slice up for your salad. Don’t forget to finish searing all sides of your pineapple that you brushed with your dressing.
- Place your serving of arugula and spinach in your bowl
- Then add your sliced vegetables and toppings. Place your chicken on top, arrange your vegetables the way you like. Feel free to use a small container or bowl to hold your dressing on the side or just pour it right on top. I like to top my salad with a some crushed red pepper (I like it SPICY) and some fresh cilantro. I garnished my seared pineapple skewers with some diced green onions.