So, it was one of those days where I needed to clear out a couple things in my fridge. I had a couple avocados, some peppers, tomatoes, goat cheese and a couple other things I didn’t want to go to waste! From my experience, the best way to clear a fridge of left over veggies is by making either of 2 meals: a stir fry, or a flatbread. I chose the flatbread route and it did NOT disappoint!
I created a Chicken & Vegetable Flatbread with a Spicy Avocado Spread. Not only was it super easy to make, but it’s also a quick healthy meal bursting with so much flavor. My favorite part of the meal was the kind of flatbread I used; I got an Artisan Thin Pizza Crust Flatbread made by the company Flat Out Flatbread (Available at Walmart). I love that it’s only 130 calories per flatbread AND its Weight Watchers endorsed (only 4 smart points per flatbread- if you do weight watchers).
So dive into this flavorful flatbread guilt free. I used chicken to make this, but if you want to switch to salmon or just stick to vegetables, feel free to do so! As much as I love my recipes, I always encourage others to edit and change my recipes to a way that’s suitable for their own personal tastes; but if you like recipe as is, follow along down below!
Ingredients (Makes 1 Flatbread):
- 1/2 of a whole Chicken Breast (season with the following spices)
- Chicken Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 2cups of spinach
- 1/3 of a red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/8 of a whole red onion
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/2 of a lime
- 4-5 orange sweet bite sized tomatoes (feel free to use any tomatoes you like)
- 1 teaspoon of goat cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- After seasoning the chicken with the spices listed above, wrap chicken breast in aluminum foil and put in air fryer for 15 minutes at 380 degrees – slice up when finished (method I used). I wrapped it in aluminum foil to keep the moisture in because you don’t want the chicken to be too dry and it still has some cooking time in the oven. If you don’t have an air fryer, feel free to dice up your chicken breast then sauté on a skillet with a teaspoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium/high. Once chicken is done, set aside.
- Put your half avocado in a bowl, then add red pepper flakes and squeeze a little lime juice from your half lime into the bowl as well. You can add a pinch of salt for flavor, but I didn’t because my sautéed veggies (coming up) and the chicken already have a dash of salt so I didn’t think I needed anymore.
- Put 1 table spoon of olive oil in a frying pan and heat up on medium/low. Put your 2 cups of spinach into the pan with a pinch of salt or seasoning salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Spinach wilts and shrinks down fast! – you don’t want them too cooked down, but cooked enough to soften.
- Dice up your vegetables and sauté all but the orange bite sized tomatoes – you want those fresh for the oven. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and sauté for about 4-5 minutes.
- Once you’re done preparing all the chicken and veggies for your flatbread, it’s time to put it all together. Spread your spicy avocado mix all over your flat bread, then add a layer of your sautéed spinach. Sprinkle your chicken and vegetable toppings. Add your fresh diced tomatoes and sprinkle your teaspoon of goat cheese on the top.
- Bake in a pan for about 5-7 minutes (or until bottom is crispy to your liking) at 350 °F.
*this is not a sponsored post*