Kamalu and I have been more active than usual. On his end, it’s because football season has started; on my end, it’s about a lifestyle change from my old unhealthy habits. Before dinner, we love to try and squeeze in a walk with the dogs. We aim for 3 miles, but we push for 5. After a walk like that, it can be draining and we need some fuel to replenish our bodies.
Our plan was salad for dinner.
I could already hear Kamalu thinking, “how’s a salad going to fill me up after the workout we just had?”
As active as we’ve been lately, I needed a meal that was loaded with energy from good calories. A salad loaded with spinach and all our favorites was perfect plan for dinner!
This recipe focuses more on the preparation for the chicken and steak. Feel free to edit the toppings to your choosing.
Ingredients: (add as much as you like for the salad toppings)
- Baby Spinach
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 ribeye steak (skirt steak works as well)
- Red Onion
- Bell Peppers
- Goat Cheese
- 2 eggs
- Sesame Seeds
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Teriyaki Marinade
- Ghee Butter or Olive Oil
- In separate containers, marinate the chicken and steak for an hour with
- 3 tablespoons of Teriyaki marinade,
- a pinch of salt,
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Once done marinating, take out of container and wrap in aluminum foil, then either
- place in airfryer for 20 minutes at 350 F
- or in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 F
- Once done cooking in the airfryer or the over, unwrap foil and carefully remove and set aside the steak & chicken. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the juices (or broth) left over in the foil in a separate container (make sure you don’t mix the chicken broth with the beef broth – use separate containers).
- After 2 tablespoons of each juice is set aside in a container, add 1 tablespoon of honey & 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper to each broth mixture and stir.
- Heat up cast iron grill pan or frying pan on medium high with a bout a teaspoon of Ghee Butter or Olive Oil. I love using the grill pan to get the beautiful grill marks, if you don’t have one, no worries! – a regular frying pan will work just fine
- Once the pan is heated, brush one side of both the chicken and the steak with your honey-broth mixture, and place it face down on the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes; while the bottom is browning, brush the top with your honey-broth mixture. Then flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes
- Once cooking both the chicken or the steak, let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. When you put it on the plate of spinach, sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Dice up all your other salad ingredients (jalapenos, eggs, bell peppers, avocado) and add as you please to your salad.
- Top with Mama Tangs Spicy Asian Vinaigrette (available at HEB). I adore this vinaigrette because it pairs so well with the chicken and steak. If you cant find it, feel free to use a vinaigrette or salad dressing of your choosing.
*this is not a sponsored post*