Chipotle, specifically their burrito bowl, is probably one of my favorite quick eats to grab on the go. So, I definitely wanted to come up with a burrito bowl that I can make at home with products you see at your everyday grocery store. In fact, one of my favorite fun things to do is find fast food or take out I like to order often, and come up with my own at-home version.
The great thing about this burrito bowl is that it doesn’t have to be just that! – you can eat it in a hard shell, or you could even you could just make the chicken for this recipe alone and throw it in a salad for a spicy twist. You could also edit it to your tasting. Don’t like chicken legs? – Use chicken breasts or thighs instead (or steak – refer to my garlic butter flank steak recipe https://annaou.com/2018/01/07/119/ and add a dash of cumin & paprika to the ingredients).
Servings – 6
- 6 chicken legs (or 6 chicken breasts)
- White Rice
- 1 pack of soft tortillas (any size)
- 1 package of Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 package of shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocadoes (or how many you want… you can NEVER have too much avocado)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 4-5 jalapenos
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic Powder
- 1 packet of Sazón Goya – Con Culantro y Achiote (sold at the spice section of Walmart, HEB, Fiesta, and most grocery stores)
- Vegetable Oil
Kitchen Items Needed:
- Food thermometer for chicken (not mandatory, but suggested to ensure chicken doneness)
Food/Kitchen Prep Needed:
- Place 6 pieces of the chicken bowl to marinate with a dash of the following spices & let marinate for 30-minutes before cooking (NOTE: feel free to edit any of these seasonings top your taste!)Salt for taste
- Garlic Powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Juice from half a lemon/lime
- Slice up your red bell pepper, onion, and jalapenos (to be sautéed)
- Dice up your tomatoes and avocadoes for toppings for your burrito bowl later.
- After chicken is done marinating, preheat oven to 375°
- Start with the chicken first – it takes longest to cook. Once ready to place in oven, raise temperature to 425 and put the chicken in to bake.Bake for 30-35 minutes, then rotate and cook for the last 20-25 minutes (or until internal temperature is 165° if using a kitchen thermometer). Once done, strip chicken from the bone and chop.
- While chicken is baking, bowl your rice for your burrito bowl. I use Uncle Ben’s Original Rice and follow their cooking instructions in the back. For reference, it’s (6 servings), boil 1 ½ cups of white rice, in 3 1/3 cups of water. Add 1 tablespoon of butter along with some salt for taste, 1 packet of Sazón Goya – Con Culantro y Achiote, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Put 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in pan and heat up on medium, then sautée your sliced jalapenos, onions, and red bell peppers. Add salt for taste and a dash of pepper and cumin.
- You should have your diced jalapenos & tomatoes, shredded lettuce, a package of cheese ready to go.
- One of the last things you want to do is heat up your tortilla so that it’s warm and ready when it’s time to eat.
- Bowl Setup – I like to fold my tortilla off the side of my plate. Then I put the amount of rice I want, then add whatever toppings you’ve selected.
This burrito bowl recipe is perfect for any lunch/dinner at home, or a lunch/dinner party with friends and family! The cool thing about this dish is that you are in control. If you don’t like cheese, you don’t need to add it! If you want to add beans, feel free to do so! Look down below for more pictures.
*this is not a sponsored post*
Hope you enjoy!